Coronavirus live news: cases of some variants falling in UK; German third wave could be imminent due to variants
UK health secretary says cases of South African and Brazilian variant appear to be falling; German experts say variants behind stalling decline in infections
- UK: changing events could put brakes on recovery roadmap, says minister
- Sage expert calls for children to get Covid jab as schools set to reopen
- Scientists say clinical trials for ‘variant-proof’ vaccines could start soon
- UK: Ban on outside sport can end, top scientist urges Johnson
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The Czech Republic on Saturday recorded 6755 confirmed cases of coronavirus, about 1,600 more than a week ago.
Surge testing is being rolled out in an area of Essex, England after a case of the South African coronavirus variant was found.
A spokesman for the Department of Health said:
Working in partnership with the local authority, additional testing and genomic sequencing is being deployed to the CM13 postcode in Brentwood, Essex, where a single case of the Covid-19 variant first identified in South Africa has been found.Continue reading…