Coronavirus live news: US deaths pass 350,000 as India authorises two vaccines
UK Labour leader calls for lockdown as daily cases near 60,000; India approves Oxford and AstraZeneca vaccines
- Coronavirus restrictions ‘probably about to get tougher’, says Boris Johnson
- Parents face week of uncertainty over school reopenings in England
- Pope condemns travelling abroad to escape coronavirus lockdowns
- ‘The numbers are real’: Fauci hits back at Trump on US Covid deaths
- See all our coronavirus coverage
In Australia (where your correspondent currently sits), mass testing drives are seeking to restrict outbreaks in the country’s two most populous states New South Wales and Victoria. By global standards, Australia’s outbreaks are small, but there is a concerted push to break these chains of community transmission.
Victoria has reported three new cases of locally acquired Covid-19 infection in the past 24 hours.
Related: Australia coronavirus live news: thousands told to self-isolate after Covid-19 exposure
Mainland China reported 33 new Covid-19 cases on 3 January, up from 24 cases a day earlier, the country’s national health authority said on Monday.
The National Health Commission said in a statement 20 of the new cases were imported infections originating from overseas.Continue reading…