Brexit: No 10 claims it wants to ‘clarify’ deal to protect Northern Ireland peace process – live news
Downing Street rejects claims it plans to ignore aspects of NI protocol after confirming it is preparing new legislation
- Von der Leyen warns UK against breaking international law
- Boris Johnson to override EU withdrawal agreement
- 3 areas where UK wants to override – or ‘clarify’ – withdrawal agreement
- Reneging on Brexit deal ‘would strengthen case for breaking up UK’
- Global coronavirus updates – live
The European commission has said that implementing the Northern Ireland protocol is a “precondition” for a UK-EU trade deal. A commission spokesperson said:
The full implementation of the withdrawal agreement and in particular the protocol on Ireland, and Northern Ireland, are essential. These are legal obligations under international law. This is a matter of trust. This is a prerequisite, a precondition for the negotiations on the future partnership, I think that’s clear.
There are two statements in the Commons this afternoon.
Two oral ministerial statements from 3:30pm:
1. @grantshapps – International travel
2. @kitmalthouse – Birmingham attacks and Extinction Rebellion protests