Trump impeachment: House debates charge of ‘incitement of insurrection’ – live
- House poised to charge Trump with inciting insurrection
- Capitol attack could be a glimpse of violence to come
- US sees new record of 4,327 Covid deaths in a single day
- Kamala Harris: how will America’s next vice-president wield her power? Join the Guardian for a live conversation on 18 January
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Grun Kibben, the House chaplain, reflected on the gravity of the day and the grief of the past week in her opening prayer this morning.
“We stand before you to give account for our role in today’s momentous decisions and our deepest desire to carry out responsibilities to govern, protect and preserve this nation while yet unsettled by the events of this past week,” Kibben said.
After gaveling in the session, the House immediately went into a brief recess before starting the debate on the article of impeachment.
The final vote on the article, incitement of insurrection, is expected around 3 pm ET.Continue reading…