Supreme court strikes down abortion restriction in major victory for campaigners – live
- Court ruled Louisiana law is unconstitutional
- Florida scientist says leadership asked her to change numbers
- Trump: I wasn’t told about ‘Russian bounties’ plot
- Global deaths from coronavirus pass half a million
- Trump retweets video of St Louis couple pointing guns at protesters
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
The US Supreme Court just struck down a major abortion case. The court ruled that a Louisiana law that requires doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital, severely limiting access to abortion, is unconstitutional.
The court ruled the decision 5-4, with chief justice John Roberts siding with the court’s liberal justices to strike the law down.
#SCOTUS, by vote of 5-4, strikes down Louisiana law requiring doctors who perform abortions to have right to admit patients at nearby hospitals
Decisions from the US Supreme Court are being released this morning. The court’s first decision this morning involves foreign groups that receive US monetary aid.
The ruling says it is not a violation of the US Constitution’s First Amendment’s right to free speech to require foreign groups to denounce prostitution and sex trafficking in order to receive US aid. The court said that because the groups of foreign-based, they are not protected by the First Amendment.Continue reading…