US Covid death toll expected to reach half a million within 24 hours – live
- 56,495 new cases of coronavirus recorded in US yesterday
- Dominion Voting to sue MyPillow CEO for defamation
- Trump to tell CPAC he is ‘presumptive 2024 nominee’ – report
- Merrick Garland to appear before Senate committee
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
This is Joan Greve in Washington, taking over for Martin Belam.
The US coronavirus death toll is expected to soon surpass 500,000, representing the highest death toll of any country in the world.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki has just put that continued endorsement of Neera Tanden into her own Twitter words. Tanden’s confirmation has been derailed by first Democratic Senator Joe Manchin and then Republican Susan Collins saying they would oppose it.
Neera Tanden=accomplished policy expert, would be 1st Asian American woman to lead OMB, has lived experience having benefitted from a number of federal programs as a kid, looking ahead to the committee votes this week and continuing to work toward her confirmationContinue reading…